Press Release: Conti Blames Leopold for Eroding Public Safety

Conti Blames Leopold for Eroding Public Safety

Annapolis (8/20/10)  – Joanna Conti, Democratic nominee for Anne Arundel County Executive, expressed grave concern about increased violent crime in Anne Arundel County.  The recent shooting in Brooklyn Park on August 13 marked the third homicide in North County in just one week.

“The most important job of a county government is to keep its citizens safe, and the three murders and fourth shooting in North County last week show we are failing.  John Leopold has cut the number of county police officers and ignored a tremendous opportunity to put more officers on the streets at no cost to the county,” says Conti.

John Leopold cut 5% of the police force in July, 2009, leaving Anne Arundel County with only half the number of full-time police officers per capita as the national average.   

“We missed a tremendous opportunity to make our citizens safer last year”, said Conti.  “Seventy-one jurisdictions in Maryland applied to take part in the Community Oriented Police Services (COPS) program, where the federal government pays full salaries and benefits for three years for additional police officers.  Both Prince George’s County and Baltimore City received funding for 50 extra police officers for three years.   John Leopold didn’t bother to apply.”

Joanna Conti is the Democratic nominee for County Executive.  Conti is running on the platform of “no more politics as usual,” promising proactive leadership and real results for the residents of Anne Arundel County. 
 

Joanna's photos on Flickr

Follow Joanna on Twitter

Connect with Joanna